Healthy Eating Tips
Check out these featured recipes from our partner site EatFresh.org!
Visit EatFresh.org to view hundreds more low-cost and healthy recipes.
Want to make the most of your fruit and veggie dollars?
Download the tip sheet from the Everyday Food Smarts staff at Leah’s Pantry.
- 1.5 cups 100% orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 lbs fresh sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- 2 cups raisins
- In a medium saucepan, bring orange juice, honey, cinnamon, and chili powder to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes to the saucepan and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and add raisins; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until orange sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ onion, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced, or ½ tsp ginger powder
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup sesame salad dressing or teriyaki sauce
- 12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or chili flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- Microwave chicken and onion for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, and celery. Microwave 2-3 more minutes until cooked.
- Add carrots, dressing or teriyaki sauce, and optional chili flakes. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Roll about ½ cup filling in each lettuce leaf like a taco.
- Sprinkle with optional crushed peanuts.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chopped vegetables (zucchini or other summer squash, carrots, celery, asparagus, corn, peas, green beans or lima beans), frozen or canned
- ½ head of cabbage, shredded
- 6 cups water
- Salt and pepper
In a stock pot, sauté the onion in the olive oil until golden; add cumin.
Add the potatoes and water.
Bring soup to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
Add the other vegetables and simmer until soft. You may need to add more water.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
- ½ pound Small red potatoes (about 3 potatoes) rinsed and cubed
- 1½ cups baby carrots
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and green beans and cook for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half. Place olive oil and chicken breasts in a medium skillet; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
- Add potatoes, carrots, green beans, and all remaining ingredients to skillet, except 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes more or until chicken is fully cooked. Add remaining lemon juice to taste and serve.